Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The very dangerous typhoon that (almost) never arrives

This is just a quick one..I had thought of this title yesterday, when yet another warning of a typhoon cause all the Japanese to start losing the plot, cancelling the better part of 3 days appointments and stocking up on tinned food...

I don't want to make light of what is obviously a pretty dangerous thing (I say this as rain and wind lashes the internet cafe and bedraggled gamers stagger in from the wet blender that is outdoors today) but seriously people totally overreact here! Of course if you live on the beachfront in Kyushu, you should batton down the hatches, put away the outdoor furniture and settle into your shelter with a thick book, but here in the city, 95% of the Typhoons never seem to actually reach us.

For example - in the last month there have been about 4 typhoon alerts. Each time it is the same, people racing around buying shit, cancelling lessons and dates and staying in doors anxiously listening to the radio. Of those, it only actually rained twice and once was just a light sprinkle of rain...

Today's weather kind of reminds me of a heavy rain-storm in Melbourne. You get pissed on and your umbrella turns inside out and that's about it...Even so, my work was cancelled today and people are for the most part looking pretty freaked. Maybe I am missing something.

After the earthquake a worried news reporter told everyone there was a tsunami alert in Kyushu, with waves up to 0.5 meters...huh? I was thinking most surfers wouldn't lay off the bong to actually go to the beach for waves like that...I guess though, that here in Japan, when a big one (typhoon, earthquake, tsunami, kim chi disaster)its, it's bloody massive, so they are rightly nervous...even so, people were way calmer after the 6.5 richter earthquake than they are at the mere mention of a typhoon...

a very compelling place indeed! I love it actually, all these stark differences...

by the way, I opened a bank account the other day at the post office and they gave me a face washer in a little package, as a way of showing their appreciation for my patronage...ace, a flowery face washer..when is Australia Post going to catch on to an idea like that!

Anyways, sign the guest book mofo's and share the love around

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Melbourne | Blogs
<< ? Japan # >>